Monday, March 31, 2003

This is a blog about muscles and mistaken identity.

I was in the gymn the other day doing some pullups. After I finished a set, a large fellow approached me and said, "can I ask you a question?" I flashed back to junior high school when large fellows would approach me and say the same thing so I was about to tell him that I didn't have any money on me, when I found myself nodding. He said,"how do you do so many?" Well, I wanted to tell him that it was probably because I weighed 80lbs less than he did, but I humbly shrugged my shoulders and let him answer his own question. "This is the first time I've really done it," he continued, "I guess I should just get used to the motion on the lat pulldown machine?"

"Sure..." I conceded and walked on my way...but, it made me think...of another time.

I was in Oceanside, California last summer with a friend and his family. It was the 4th of July and the marines in that area were out on the prowl. My friend and I entered a hot tub at the Condo unit where we were staying. The occupants of the tub were two intoxicated couples (marines and their women) and an asian guy. As we entered the tub we quickly tried to make friends with the youngsters...The two couples were a little preoccupied and uniterested but the lone asian guy quickly became our friend.

Long after the couples left, the asian guy remained to converse with us. We found out that he had served in the Navy and that he was raised by a Latino family. He was really cool. He then started to ask us questions. After he found out our identities he laughed and said, "By the look of you I thought you were a marine...But, after I heard you speak, I knew that you weren't." I guess marines don't go off on the merits of "the Muppets" all that often.

So how these two experiences are related is beyond me...but they have both taught me a valuable lesson.

And I will treasure that lesson always.

No comments: