Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I'm done with my paper so here are some great film quotes to celebrate!


"I may not have PhD in 'feelm,' but I know what I don't like!"

--Mr. Cranky, in one of his lighter moments


"With a good script, a good director can produce a masterpiece. With the same script, a mediocre director can produce a passable film. But with a bad script even a good director can't possibly make a good film. For truly cinematic expression, the camera and the microphone must be able to cross both fire and water. The script must be something that has the power to do this."

-Akira Kurosawa


"I thought drama was when the actors cried. But drama is when the audience cries."

"There are no rules in film-making. Only sins. And the cardinal sin is dullness."

-Frank Capra


[On the ending of Stroszek (1977):] "When I saw the dancing chicken, I knew I would create a grand metaphor -- for what, I don't know."

-Werner Herzog


"Originality now is rare in the cinema and it isn't worth striving for because most work that does this is egocentric and pretentious. What is most enjoyable about the cinema is simply working with a language that is classical in the sense that the image is understood by everyone. I'm not at all interested in innovating film language, making it more aesthetic. I love film history, and you're better off learning from those who proceeded you."

-Wim Wenders


"I just made pictures I would've liked to see."

-Billy Wilder

No comments: