Monday, September 15, 2003

"Nice drawings, Ryan."

I look up from my Sunday School doodlings to see a familiar face...where do I know this guy? shoot, it's been 5-6 years...his name is either Chris or Mike. Chris or Mike?

"Mike, right? Long time no see."

"Long time no see...what are you doing!?"

I guess he doesn't mean the drawings...
"Um, I just graduated and moved home."

Surprise and joy spreads across his face.
"Man, we thought you'd gotten married years ago because noone has heard about you forever. You were in the same category as Levi Ernst, who I guess lives somewhere in South Carolina now."

"M.I.A." I think to myself.
I don't remember who Levi Ernst is, and I tell Mike this, which leads to a lengthy discussion on "friends" from highschool who have gotten married and moved on.

"What did you graduate in?" Mike asks.

"In Film. . . from the Y."

"In film? film? We always thought that you would've gone into Engineering or something. Film, hunh."

"Oh, why?"

"Because you told us about a book you read where that physicist lied so as not to get drafted into the army."

"The physicist who worked on the atomic bomb?" Robert Feinlein? Richard...shoot, I can't remember his name.

"Yah," Mike answers.

"Oh, I like that book."

As Mike and I parted ways in the parking lot later that afternoon, I thought to myself how happy I was to have remade a friend...and how stupid I was for not majoring in Engineering.

No comments: