Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Library ettiquette or am I just really touchy?

I like to go into the quiet study area of the Sandy library because, for obvious reasons, it's quiet. Or at least that's how it's supposed to be...

The fellow sitting next to the door breaks every single quiet room rule.
(1) He shakes his legs for the whole 3 hours that I'm in the room. I don't know if he has an itch and he relieves it by vibrating his buttocks on the chair? But this guy is an animal!
(2) He whips out an ICEE beverage and, no joke, slurps the final remaining contents loudly.
Okay, I can't remember the other quiet room rules but I know that he broke them...what an inconsiderate jerk!
So I leave the room every 30 minutes or so for a quick water break. (Plus, it's a great excuse to browse the movie titles). As I walk through the library I happen upon another kid talking full volume on a cellphone. "DID YOU READ THAT BOOK I GAVE YOU? OH? NOT YET?" I shoot him dirty side glances and think to myself, "has this world gone mad? There was a day when one could depend on the library to be a place of solace and sanctuary. Librarians ruled with an iron fist and "SHHH!" was heard if a "5-inch" whisper suddenly grew in length."

I'm thinking, after seeing "Taxi Driver" last night, that the only solution is my own brand of vigilante justice. "Hey punk on the cellphone...you talkin' to me? You must be talkin' to me because cell phones aren't allowed in the library. BANG!" I'm taking the library back!

No comments: