Friday, June 11, 2004

I'm tired of driving to Provo. I hate the actual drive. I spend 15 minutes going the 2 miles from my house to the freeway on-ramp thanks to some swell city-planning that schedules all of the road work in the entire state of Utah to be done in the month of JUNE. I-15 is a mess from the 106th South onramp until the point of the mountain. Extra big pickup trucks and extra big SUVs followed by extra big Mormon Meat Wagons filled with ONE, that's right, extra big person eating extra big fast food clog up all three lanes of traffic. When not saturated with advertisements the radio blasts out trite crap. A sign above flashes "I-15 SOUTHBOUND CLOSED USE ALT ROUTE," and I think to myself, "alternate route? I wish they'd be a little more specific because the one lane Frontage Road hardly qualifies as an alternate." I turn the heater on full blast even though it's almost 100 degrees farenheit outside and the engine coolant temperature dips a hair. My gas gauge reads empty again and I wonder where I can find gas for under $2. I resist flipping the bird and honking my horn and in 45 minutes, I finally arrive...

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to even have a car and a reason to go to Provo every day. I'm grateful that, once the road is done, it'll be huge and grand and fast and wonderous. I know that it's a means to an end, and I fully endorse and love the end. It's just...9 months of this is starting to wear thin on my patience.
And I'm glad that it will all be over in 2 months.
August 11th, my friends...
Watch your mailboxes...

No comments: