Thursday, October 07, 2004

For those of you who don't know, I'm currently taking classes at UVSC.

The small class size, diverse student population, colorful staff and faculty (you very rarely see a Stetson-ed man riding a lawnmower whilst smoking a pipe at Brigham Young), and the, at times, slight, sinking feeling that I've somehow become a "smart kid" again are all amazing benefits of attending this fine state institution. But the finest benefit of all is the one that is probably most often overlooked...the enormous duck pond.

My love affair with duck ponds began when Ali hurled a moldy wad of two-month-old bread directly at a fat duck in the BYU pond. We fed the dozen ducks residing in that pond a whole loaf of bread not meant for human consumption, and they loved us for it.

The tradition continues amongst the "fighting Wolverines." In the light of the slowly rising sun with two unpalatable dinner biscuits in hand, I slowly trodded out to the serene waters of the UVSC duck pond. I began throwing crumbs to a small congregation of ducks who were soon joined by a throng of brothers and sisters. I was careful to divvy out the crumbs in fair quantities giving the fat white ducks only a quarter of what I was tossing to the smaller-sized mallards. I even enticed several brave ducklings onto shore to pick out crumbs amongst the blades of grass. Long after the biscuits had run out, the ducks continued to throng about my presence, paying homage to a nuturing mother figure who would most likely return again to deliver life-giving sustenance...

As I left the pond, saying goodbye to my new found friends, this age-old adage filled my heart and soul...

"Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother."

As true today as it was when first written...

No comments: