Monday, August 22, 2005

Ali's grandpa's dementia is getting worse.

Yesterday, he announced that he was off to church and left the house almost two hours earlier than our ward begins. Our wardhouse is certainly within walking distance but when you're over 80 years old crossing main street without a crosswalk is a bit dangerous. I walked after him and tried to tell him that it was too soon to go but he wouldn't hear any it. He only told me that I should tell grandma that he's ornery and that he's walking. Back at the homefront, Ali's grandma told us to try picking him up in his own car...but, once again, FOILED! I ended up holding his hand leading him across the busy street. He promptly sat down in the overflow for the last 15 minutes of a mission farewell for a stranger. He probably would've continued sitting there until it was time for our sacrament to begin but they started closing the partition.

As we walked home, he was more than ecstatic about the fact that he'd attended church and didn't understand why Ali's grandma, Ali, and I had been so concerned about his safety. Even when we finally made it home, he looked bewildered when Ali's grandma told him that he could never do that again.
"But, I had my two helpers, Helen," he responded. "I done good."

3 comments:

Fat eSpence said...

"Spare the rod, spoil the elderly" is what I say! (Just kidding Ali)
I read that eating anti-oxidant foods such as cranberries, exercising your body, and exercising your mind (even going to a movie) can help protect one's mind from decay.

I don't know about the other couples, but to me it looks like Ryan + Ali = eternal love.

kat said...

i hope someday i can say, "i done good."

Kirsten said...

you are a sport Ryan. and I live in perfectally ok studio apartment.