Sunday, May 03, 2009

Cut Off at the Wrist...

I borrowed a bike for the 4th street triathlon from my father in-law. Needless-to-say I was a little apprehensive about doing it only because I'm a people pleaser and don't want to give my in-laws any more reasons to dislike me. You know, what if I accidentally damaged the bike or, heaven forbid, got it stolen?

Anyway, the bike I borrowed was fantastic with full-suspension and amazing shifting technology; even though the triathlon trail was severely muddy, the bike rode like a charm. My mother in-law kept telling us that it was a really nice bike and I must say that she was right. Unfortunately, both Ali and I severely underestimated how nice it was and left it parked outside to hopefully wash off in the rain. Unfortunately, it didn't rain until after it was stolen from the bike rack at our apartment complex. I woke up at 5 am on Friday to go to campus and found the bike missing with the chain cut on the ground.


After replaying a dozen fantasy fights in my head where I wake up to find the perpetrator in the act and then go on to severely beat him with the a variety of handy objects (a child's bike, a skateboard, the seat to the bicycle being stolen--I actually pulled it off a day before it was stolen to see how easily the mud would wash off), I find myself no less distrusting of mankind. I search craigslist and ksl classifieds obsessively for the sale of purple-blue Kona Dawg without its original seat. I still can't help feeling victimized and quite stupid.


Ali called the University Police and was told that these type of thefts happen all the time and that the bikes are usually taken out of state for sale. Of course, the odds of recovering the bike are severely out of our favor. Luckily, Ali's parents' homeowner's insurance will take some of the bite out of the loss; I just hope it doesn't affect their premiums. Hopefully my son in-law acceptance premiums don't go up too much either.

5 comments:

Jon, Kaylene and Laila said...

Ouch! Sorry man, that's not a fun situation. It could be worse, you could have totaled your father-in-law's car by hitting a highway patrol men. Maybe it's the Farrington curse not to get along with their Father-in-laws.

farringtonfamily said...

Well Ryan...I guess everybody gets something stolen at least once! It makes you not want to buy expensive things (Mitt Romney's wife had her very, very expensive jewelry stolen from their summer home in Park City)
I'm sorry that it happened to you and Ali's parents. I'm sure that they understand..!

Love,
Mom

L'Hôte said...

Awww that really sucks! I'm sorry for all parties involved. If it makes you feel any better I've had two snow boards stolen not counting Matts, my car stolen, my jeans were stolen out of my high school gym locker, and I washed an ipod this weekend?

I get along with my father-in-law.

Candice

Abs and Me said...

I'm sorry to hear that Ryan. That really stinks! I Hope something good comes from it all! Good luck!

Janna said...

Lame!! I scouted the streets for weeks after somebody swiped Spencer's. How was the triathlon?