Sunday, January 03, 2010

Foods I Love: Japan Edition

Not that you really care but here are some delicious Japanese foods that I love...very much. (Incidentally, yes, I am hungry.)
Gyoza (pork potstickers)
Miso Soup
Soumen (chilled; a summertime food)
Raamen (this is how it's done!)
Shabu Shabu (see Ghengis Khan (sp))
Soba (buckwheat noodles)
Takoyaki (octopus filled doughballs)
Tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet)
Udon
Yakiniku
Yakisoba

This list is by no means all inclusive (Sushi could take up its own blog post). Next time though, we may look at the Japanese convenience store delicacies. Until then...

Addendum...
As per Cameron's Request

Japanese Curry
Sukiyaki!
Ofukuronoaji---
Nikujaga (meat and potatoes! and carrots...)

7 comments:

kat said...

i foolishly read this an hour before my lunch break.
i went to ichiban's last weekend and fell in love with sushi all over again. (sadly, no one ended up vomiting after the mussel shooters)

farringtonfamily said...

Wow Ryan...This food is beautiful! Where do we go to get it?

Love, Mom

Matt & Candice said...

mmm, I'm hungry. Let's go for Japanese immediately. How are the octopus dough balls - chewy?

Candice

Heather said...

Ugh. Just the phrase "mussel shooters" makes me want to vomit.

When I was in San Diego, I had friends who were fond of karaoking all night and going for the authentic Raamen afterwards. It was pretty great. Even for a food pansy such as I.

Cam Dawson said...

What about Okonomiyaki, Sukiyaki, and Curry? Mmm...

Chester B. said...

Add sukiyaki and curry to the list but nix okonimiyaki; it's something that I don't really konomi.

But there's just a tiny piece of octopus in the takoyaki so there's the right amount of chewy.

Chester B. said...

too bad. Mussell shooters are a natural aphrodisiac I've heard but ONLY if you throw them up.

Japan convinced me that the only bad raamen comes in a square brick at the supermarket.